the United States
Stylish, Modest Fashion
Shrines and Holy Places
Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
48 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, SW
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Atlanta Catholics erected a small frame church in 1848. The parishioners were devoted to Mary and six years before the Catholic Church defined its official dogma of the Immaculate Conception parishioners decided to dedicate the church in honor of their belief. The church served them for 20 years but was damaged during the Civil War. After the war the parishioners decided to replace it.
The old church was moved to an adjacent lot and in June, 1869 they broke ground for the new church. On December 10,1873, the church was formally dedicated. In 1880a new marble high altar was installed and the church was substantially complete.
in 1951 with instructions to restore and preserve this historic church of the Immaculate Conception. Msgr. Grady, along with his able and young assistant, Father Donald Kiernan, despite warnings that a fund drive could raise no more than $35,000, started a campaign for $75,000. The parishioners and people of Atlanta proved that Immaculate Conception had lots of life left, and proceeded to raise $117,000 for the restoration.
Work was timed for completion in 1954, the 100th anniversary of the proclamation of the teaching of the Immaculate Conception and the church was re-named the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception a shrine for the entire Atlanta Diocese.
In 1958 the Franciscan Fathers, of the Holy Name Province were invited to take charge of the Shrine.
In 1982 the shrine was almost destroyed by fire. It was restored and is open to visitors.
Christ the King Cathedral
2699 Peachtree Road NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30305-3689
Christ the King Parish was established on June 15, 1936. The site selected for Christ the King consisted of about four acres. The cost of the land with the existing white mansion was $35,000.
Groundbreaking for the new church and school began as soon as the deeds for the land were executed. A French Gothic architectural style of the old world was selected for the Cathedral. Seating would be for more than 700 although the parish numbered only 400 in 1937.
Construction proceeded rapidly. The cornerstone for the church was blessed and laid by Bishop O'Hara October 31, 1937, the Feast of Christ the King. On that same day, the original school building was completed.
January 5, 1937, Pope Pius XI issued a proclamation changing the Diocese of Savannah, organized in 1850, to the Diocese of Savannah-Atlanta. This decree elevated the church to Co-Cathedral status, equal in rank to the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Savannah.
On July 2, 1956 the Diocese of Atlanta was created. The Co-Cathedral was raised to the status of the Cathedral of Christ the King.