the United States
Stylish, Modest Fashion
Shrines and Holy Places
Sacred Heart Cathedral
422-E. 10th Street
Davenport IA 52803
On June 14, 1881 Pope Leo XIII established the Diocese of Davenport. St. Margaret's parish was choosen as the Cathedral parish.
In 1889, plans were drawn up for a larger church. The Ecclesiological Society, which had a mission of preserving Gothic architecture, helped design the church. The church was finished and dedicated in 1891. Bishop Cosgrove requested permission from the Pope to name this new church Sacred Heart Cathedral. Leo XIII granted this permission on the grounds that a chapel dedicated to St. Margaret was maintained in the church.
St. Ambrose Cathedral
607 High Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
St. Ambrose Parish was founded in 1851 and the first church erected in 1856.
The present church was dedicated on October 11, 1891. In 1911, when the Diocese of Des Moines was established the church became a cathedral.
Stained glass windows and a chapel dedicated to Our Lady were added in the 1940’s.
Basilica of St John
1915 University Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50314
The basement of the present church was built In 1913 and services were held there thirteen years.
Construction of the upper part of the church was started in 1926 and dedicated on December 4, 1927. The church is patterned in the style of the Northern Italian, or Lombardy Romanesque, and resembles St. Paul's Basilica outside the Walls of Rome.
The church was elevated to a minor basilica in 1989 and dedicated on December 31st.
Cathedral of Saint Raphael
Mother Church of the Archdiocese of Dubuque
231 Bluff Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
This first Church building, located just to the south of the current building was completed in 1836. In the following year the Diocese of Dubuque was created and in 1859 St. Raphael's was raised to the status of a Cathedral.
In 1857, in response to the rapid growth of Dubuque, Bishop Loras made plans to build a much larger Cathedral Church. John Mullany was chosen to draw the plans for the new building - which would be over three times larger than the previous building. By Christmas new cathedral was completed enough for Bishop Loras to offer the first mass. In 1861 the Cathedral received its formal dedication and blessing but the Cathedral's tower was not finished until 1876.
In 1893 the Diocese of Dubuque was raised to the level of an Archdiocese.
Numerous renovations were made and continue to be made by the holy men who serve there.
Basilica of St. Francis Xavier
St. Francis Xavier Basilica,
104 3rd Street SW
Dyersville, IA 52040
The St. Francis Xavier church was completed in 1889. It is a beautiful medieval Gothic-style structure with twin 212-foot spires. Ten of the 64 stained glass windows and transoms, installed in 1889 contain pictures of the life of Christ and His saints.
In 1956 the church was elevated to the rank of Minor Basilica by Pope Pius XII.
2511 - 33rd Street
Sioux City, IA 51108
In 1985, Father Harold Cooper, pastor of St. Joseph Church in Sioux City, decided to erect a statue of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Sioux City. He approached a small group of people and they began working on a project larger then envisaged. Since the 30 works of art have been brought together at Trinity Heights.
On December 16, 1992 a 30 foot statue of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Queen of Peace was placed on the Mound of Mary. It is surrounded by Trinity Gardens and the Circle of Life Memorial to the Unborn.
The St. Joseph Center-Museum was built in 1994. The museum houses a life-size wood carving of the Last Supper by Jerry Traufler. The Trinity College and High School Museum.
A 30 foot Immaculate Heart of Jesus statue was dedicated in 1999.
Shrines of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and the Miraculous Medal were added in 2000.
A pond, stream and a statue of St. Francis were completed in 2004.
The Way of the Saints was completed in 2005
A seven foot bronze statue of Moses by Dale Lamphere, is placed on the hill overlooking the Way of the Saints.
St. Anthony’s Senior Housing project was started in 2007. By 2008 eleven units were occupied and an office building added.
The Grotto of the Redemption
300 N Broadway Ave
West Bend, Iowa 50597
Father Paul Dobberstein started construction on the grotto in 1912 and it is now the largest grotto in the world. It is a composite of nine separate grottoes, each portraying a scene in the life of Christ in his work of redeeming the world.
The grotto represents the largest collection of minerals, fossils, shells and petrification concentrated in any one spot in the world.
In 1898. father Paul Dobberstein was appointed pastor of West Bend Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church. He remained there in that capacity for the rest of his life. During fifty-seven years he was counselor, instructor, and leader to the parishioners of St. Peter and Paul's.
When father Dobberstein became critically ill he prayed to the Blessed Virgin Mary to intercede for him for the grace of health. He promised to build a shrine in her honor.
When he recovered he began stockpiling rocks and precious stones. In 1912 he began building the shrine.
For the next 42 years, Fr. Dobberstein created nine separate grottoes, each portraying a scene in the life of Christ in his work of redeeming the world. Matt Szerensce, a parishioner, and Fr. Louis Greving, the next Catholic pastor in West Bend, worked side-by-side with Fr. Dobberstein and furthered the work of Fr. Dobberstein after his death. The Grotto of the Redemption is now the largest grotto in the world.