and our Seminaries
Scapulars. Jewelry. Crucifixes
Stylish & Modest Fashion
General Instruction of the
Roman Missal for the
United States of America
Shrines and Holy Places
Our Lady of the Wayside Church
432 West Park St.
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
Main Number - 847-253-5353
The devotion to Our Lady under this title dates back to about the 5th century. Mary's image was frescoed on a piece of stone taken from an ancient Roman building. The stone was moved from one road to another road, hence the name, 'Our Lady of the Wayside.' In the twelfth century, an important Roman family built a church to house the picture. Through the years, many saints, including Ignatius of Loyola and Francis Bargia, became devoted to it. Chielsa del Gesu, Rome A new church, named the Church of Jesus, was built in Rome about 1568 to honor the Madonna and her Son, and there the original fresco of Our Lady of the Wayside still resides. Copies have been carried to many lands. Our icon of Our Lady of the Wayside was written by a distinguished Italian artist. The May devotions to Mary celebrated throughout the Church, and by us today, began before the Shrine of Our Lady of the Wayside in 1815.
1820 Church Rd.
Aurora, IL 60500
National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows
442 South De Mazenod Drive
Belleville, IL 62223-1023
The nation's largest outdoor shrine offers a peaceful atmosphere on 200 beautifully landscaped acres. Twelve devotional areas offer places to pray, reflect or simply meditate. One of the most popular is the Lourdes Grotto, a replica of the famed shrine in France. Visitors are welcome to walk or drive the grounds.
The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate priests and brothers operate the shrine.
A free guided trolley tour is also available.
Basilica of Queen of All Saints
6280 North Sauganash Avenue
Chicago, IL 60646
The Queen of All Saints parish was establihed in 1929. Their first church was a portable structure which was moved from a parish in Oak Park, IL Ground was broken for their new church in 1956 and was dedicated in 1960.
The church is one of the latest and most beautiful cathedral size Gothic Restoration churches in America. Prominent, above the altar is an image of the Vigin Mary with the title " Queen of All Saints". Faces of saints appear in clouds below and behind her. Above her is an image of the Trinity.
Eight different shrines of the Virgin Mary are featured in the large window over the choir:
Our Lady of Czestochowa, Our Lady of Knock, Our Lady of Einsiedeln, Our Lady of the Snows, Our Lady of La Salette, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Our Lady of Lourdes and Our Lady of Fatima.
Pope John XXIII elevated the church to a basilica in 1962.
St. Hyacinth Basilica
(Bazylika sw. Jacka)
3636 West Wolfram Street
Chicago, Illinois 60618-7318
Phone: (773) 342-3636
The St. Hyacinth parish began with 40 Polish families in 1894.
The cornerstone for the present church was set in 1917and it was dedicated in 1921. The architecture is Renaissance with a large dome in the center of the church. Large stained glass windows in the dome fill the dome to light the interior.
In January of 2003, Rome was asked to grant the church the title: Minor Basilica. In June it was announcement in Rome that the church has been graced with the title: Minor Basilica.
Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica & National Shrine
3121 West Jackson Boulevard
Chicago, IL 60612
Historic Center of Marian devotion and home of the National Shrine of Saint Peregrine, patron of those afflicted with cancer, AIDS, and other life-threatening diseases.
The Parish of Our Lady of Sorrows was founded in 1874 by three Servants of Mary (Servites).
Ground was broken for the Italian Renaissance-style church on June 17, 1890. It was dedicated January 5, 1902.
On January 8, 1937, the Sorrowful Mother Novena began an era that would establish Chicago's Our Lady of Sorrows as a Marian Shrine of national and international fame. Through the 1940's and into the
1950's the Great Novena filled the church weekly in up to 38 separate services. The Novena spread to over 2300 additional parishes at the peak of its popularity.
In 1956, Pope Pius XII granted to Our Lady of Sorrows National Shrine the title of Basilica.
The Basilica is administered by the Servants of Mary, the "Servites," a Catholic religious order founded in the Thirteenth Century.
Institute of Christ the King
6415 South Woodlawn Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60637-3817
Formerly "St. Clara," this majestic 80-year-old edifice was built by friars of the Calced Carmelite Order who established there the first National Shrine of St. Thérèse of Lisieux. With the gradual decline of the neighborhood, the dwindling of the congregation, and vicissitudes such as a fire in 1976 that well-nigh destroyed the interior of the church, St. Gelasius was eventually shut and in peril of being demolished. In late 2003 the task of re-opening St. Gelasius Church was entrusted to the care of the Institute of Christ the King.
The restoration of this magnificent needs your help. Visit http://www.historic-landmark.org/ to see the restoration and to donate.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Pompeii
1224 West Lexington Street
Chicago, IL 60607
The Shrine of Our Lady of Pompeii is a holy place of pilgrimage consecrated to Mary, Queen of the Holy Rosary. The Rosary celebrates the mysteries of Christ's life, whose incarnation, death and resurrection are the heart of the Shrine's ministry and our sacred link to salvation. The portrait of Our Lady of Pompeii illustrates the rosary as Mary's gift to the Church.
The Scalabrini Fathers and Brothers who were sent primarily as Italian Missionaries for their migrant brothers and sisters have staffed Our Lady of Pompeii since it's founding.
Dominican Shrine of Saint Jude
1909 S. Ashland Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60608-2994
The Saint Jude shrine is located in the parish church of St. Pius V/ It opened in October 1929 and has become the spiritual center of the entire region with a ministry of preaching, spiritual direction and a network of people at prayer. St. Jude is the Patron of hopeless cases, and had been credited with interceding in countless prayers over the centuries.
It is staffed by the Dominican Fathers and Brothers of the Province of St. Albert the Great.
1501 North Oakley Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60622
An Affiliate Member of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools since 2000, Josephinum is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and is recognized by the Illinois State Board of Education and National Honor Society.
Josephinum Academy is a private, Catholic, all-girls middle school and high school. It is a multicultural, values-based community that strives to empower young women to become leaders by nurturing their talents and instilling within them a social awareness that motivates them to make a difference.
Queen of the Holy Rosary Shrine
529 Fourth Street
LaSalle, IL 61301
Phone: 815-223-0641 or 815-223-0642
The Queen of the Holy Rosary Memorial Shrine is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary in honor of military veterans both living and deceased.
It was established in 1925 and served a parish until November 7, 2007 when it was elevated to a Diocesan Shrine. Construction of the present church began in 1954. It was dedicated on October 7, 1956 with an Apostolic Blessing granted by Pope Pius XII. The Shrine complex consists of the church, the rectory and a school building.
Diocese of Peoria web site
Marytown and the Shrine of St. Maximilian Kolbe
1600 W. Park Ave.
Libertyville, IL 60048
Marytown is a community of Franciscan Friars consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. A place of Prayer and Eucharistic Adoration.
It is the home of the National Shrine of St. Maximilian Kolbe and:
Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Perpetual Adoration Chapel.
National Center for the Militia of the Immaculata (MI).
A Kolbe Holocaust Exhibit.
An overnight Retreat House and Pilgrimage destination.
A Conference Center with full dining facilities.
A Catholic Gift Shop & Bookstore.
Home of Immaculata magazine and Marytown Press.
St. Maximilian Kolbe
National Shrine of Mary Immaculate, Queen of Universe
St. Pius X Church
1025 East Madison St.
Lombard, IL 60148
Parish Office: 630-627-4526
St. Mary of Lourdes Church
424 Lourdes Church Road
Metamora, Illinois 61548
Mother of Mothers Shrine
Mater Christi Church
2431 South 10th Ave.
North Riverside, IL 60546
The Mother of Mothers Shrine is outdoors in the paish of Mater Christi. was sculpted in Pietrasanta, Italy The marble was quarried at Nord Carrara in Tuscany, Italy from the sme quarry a mny of Michelangelo's statues. The statue depicts the Blessed Virgin and Christ Child gazing benevolently upon a modern-day mother and infant. Itwas dedicated on Mother's Day, 1956 by Samuel Cardinal Stritch.
St. Mary Oratory
517 Elm Street
Rockford, Illinois 61102
Phone: (815) 965-5971
St. Mary's Grotto is modeled after the Shrine in Lourdes. The windows of the grotto were from fragments of glass, which Mr. Flanigan had collected in Europe from church windows destroyed during World War I.
Below the Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes with St. Bernadette in adoration, there is a flowing stream that is reminiscent of the miraculous stream in Lourdes. There are also shrines to St. Theresa and St. Anthony in the Grotto.
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
524 E. Lawrence Avenue
P.O. Box 1667
Springfield, Illinois 62705
On August 14,1927, Bishop Griffin in ceremonies witnessed by about 8,000 persons laid the cornerstone for the new Cathedral. Joseph W. McCarthy was chosen as architect. The style, chosen for its American traditions is Greek Revival. The exterior is Mankato stone. The church proper is basilican, the clerestory carried on rows of Siena columns in the Greek ionic style. Above the Rose Tavernelle wainscot are set the mosaic Stations of the Cross executed of minute pieces and imported from Venice.
On October 13, 1928, Bishop Griffin of Spring-field, Illinois, Bishop Samuel Stritch of Toledo, Ohio, and Bishop Gerow of Natchez, Mississippi, consecrated the three altars: the main altar dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, the side altar on the south to the Sacred Heart, the one on the north to St. Joseph. The Cathedral was formally dedicated on October14, 1928.
The Cathedral is part of the "Cathedral Group" which included the Church joined on the north by the Rectory and on the south by the Convent and School.