The Legion of Christ
Shrines and Holy Places
The Servants of Jesus of The Divine Mercy
The Divine Mercy Center
Clinton Township, MI 48035
Following an extraordinary life-saving encounter with the Blessed Virgin Mary, Catherine M. Lanni, who was on her deathbed giving birth to her fourth child, was miraculously healed through Our Lady's intercession to Our Lord Jesus.
Catherine, in gratitude founded an amazing Ministry (which was established by Cardinal Adam Maida on Easter Sunday, 2003), The Servants of Jesus of The Divine Mercy. The Ministry includes The Divine Mercy Center in Clinton Township, MI.
Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament
9844 Woodward Ave
Detroit, MI 48202
In 1905, Detroit Bishop John Foley authorized the establishment of a parish, named Most Blessed Sacrament, to serve the Catholic community living just beyond what were then the city's northern outskirts at Grand Boulevard.
The first services were held in an old shoe factory in August of 1905. By 1912 they raised enough money to plan for a beautiful new church. Construction began in 1913 and, within two years, the cruciform Norman Gothic exterior of Ohio sandstone and Indiana limestone was complete except for the planned twin spires.
The completion of the interior proceeded slowly. World War I caused further delay. On Thanksgiving Day 1930 the finished interior was dedicated.
In 1937 Detroit was elevated to an archdiocese and Blessed Sacrament became the Archdiocese Cathedral on February 20, 1938.
Construction of the spires began in 1950. At the same time considerable changes were made to the interior. The Blessed Sacrament Cathedral was finally consecrated on November 17, 1951.
In 2002-2003 the Cathedral was restored to its original Gothic splendor rededicated on the feast of the Annunciation, March 25, 2003.
Diocese web site
St. Mary Our Lady of Mount Carmel Cathedral
606 North Ohio Ave.
Gaylord, Michigan 49735
The first church of St. Mary of Mt. Carmel was built in 1900-01. It served as the first cathedral when the diocese was established by his Holiness Pope Paul VI on July 20, 1971.
In 1975 plans were made for a new spacious and modern Cathedral. The cornerstone was laid on July 25, 1975 and it was dedicated to St. Mary, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel on June 25th, 1976. The body of the cathedral seats about 1,000.
There are four shrine areas within the cathedral.
A shrine to the Sacred Heart.
St. Joseph symbolizing his occupation as carpenter and his role as patron of the universal church.
The Blessed Virgin (appellation of Our Lady of Czestochowa)
Bishop Frederic Baraga, "The Snowshoe Priest". The first of many Slovenian missionaries to come to the United States to help build up the American Catholic Church.
Diocese web site
Cathedral of St. Andrew
301 Sheldon Blvd SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Construction of St Andrew's Cathedral began in 1875. The Diocese of Grand Rapids was formed in 1882 and St Andrew was chosen as itsí Cathedral.
The Cathedral has been restored and the neo-Gothic interior architecture has been renewed. Layers of previous alterations have been removed and the original interior refreshed. A luminous decorative paint scheme contribute to the uplifting, transformative quality of the space.
A constellation of gold leaf stars at the transept crossing represents the night sky at the time of the cathedralís 1883 dedication.
Diocese web site
Basilica of St. Adalbert
Minor Basilica and Parish
701 Fourth St. NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504-5197
In 1880 the primarily Polish residents bought two building lots for a church. The first church was built and St. Adalbert Parish was established.
Construction of the present church began in 1907 and it was completed in 1913 at a total cost of about $150,000, including all of its furnishings.†
On the occasion of the centennial of the parish St. Adalbert was raised to the honor of a Basilica on February 16, 1980.
St. Adalbert Basilica is the only church of this rank in the State of Michigan, and one of the very few in the United States.
Diocese web site
The Dominican Center
2025 East Fulton Street
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503-3895
The Dominican Center was established in June 1993 as a corporate ministry of the Grand Rapids Dominicans. This Spirituality Center, located on the beautiful wooded 34-acre Marywood campus, welcomes retreatants who are seeking a contemplative environment for growth and transformation. Individuals and Partner groups find a home here where they can take the next step and deepen their spiritual journey toward wholeness.
The four elements of Dominican Spirituality (community, prayer, study and ministry) are nourished by " retreat opportunities." Integration of these four key elements enables a person to reach authenticity. . . truth - Veritas. When a person is integrated there is a consistency between personal identity, thinking, and living. One's voice communicates to others a sense of wholeness and holiness.†
Diocese web site
The National Shrine of The Cross in the Woods
Indian River, Michigan 49749
Gift Shop: 231-238-8722
In early April 1946, Bishop Francis Haas, of Grand Rapids, Michigan traveled to northern Michigan to make a survey for a church in the Indian River area. Despite the fact that there were only twelve Catholic families in Indian River in 1946 Bishop Haas decided a new parish would be established. Through J.J. Harrington, a businessman, learned of undeveloped Burt Lake State Park property that was ideal for a church. At first the were denied but in May 1948 the Commission decided to grant the land to the new parish for $1.00.
Mr. Alden Dow, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, designed the original church with long low lines to follow the natural bluff of the property and blend the church into the woods The church, seating 250 people was completed on Memorial Day weekend in 1949.
In July 1952 work began on the Cross for Calvary Hill. In 1953 the wood for the Cross was cut from a 2,000 year old redwood tree in western Oregon. The foundation of concrete and steel was buried
On August 5, 1954 two large cranes lifted the cross. An estimated 3000 people came to the dedication.
The bronze figure of Christ was designed by renowned Michigan sculptor Marshall Fredericks. It was cast in Oslo, Norway. On August 9, 1959 the figure of Christ was finally raised and attached to the Cross.
Jesus had to climb twenty-eight stairs leading to the throne of Pontius Pilate. These steps were brought to Rome where they are known as the Scala Santa. In 1956 twenty-eight steps were built leading to the cross.
A gift to the shrine, the statue of Our Lady of the Highway, was erected in 1957. She has been the patroness of millions of travelers and pilgrims who visit the Cross In The Woods.
In the early 1960's the Shrine to St. Peregrine was built. After a fire in 1994, the statue was placed in a new gazebo structure.
A statue of St. Francis was added to the shrine in 1994. It was placed in its specific location to depict St. Francis receiving the message from the Cross to "repair my Church".
After 50 years the parish outgrew the original church. A new modern church, seating almost 1,000, with a year round view of the Cross was dedicated on June 29, 1997.
In the summer of 2001, a bronze statue of Kateri Tekakwitha, "lily of the Mohawks" was erected.on the grounds.
Shrine web site
St. Mary Cathedral Parish
219 Seymour Street
Lansing, MI 48933
The first church in Lansing was located on Chestnut Street. Construction begun in 1856 and the church was dedicated in 1864. Forty years later the congregation had outgrown the church and a new one was planned.
Construction of the present church began in 1911. It was substantially completed in 1913 and consecrated to Mary with the title of Immaculate Conception. Ten years later the temporary clear glass windows were replaced with stained glass windows imported from Germany.
In 1939 the diocese of Lansing was formed and the church was elevated to a cathedral. Major architectural changes and decorations were made at the time.