and our Seminaries
Shrines and Holy Places
In 1900 the Vicariate of Montana covered the entire state of Montana. On May 18, 1904 Pope Pius X split the area into two dioceses . Western Montana became the Diocese of Helena and Eastern Montana became the Diocese of Great Falls. In 1980 "Billings" was added to the name of the diocese.
The Cathedral of the Diocese of Helena is located in Helena, Montana
Cathedral of St. Helena
530 North Ewing Street
Helena, MT 59601
The Cathedral was patterned after a classic Neo-Gothic cathedral in Vienna, Austria. Construction of the Cathedral began at the turn of the century and it was opened in 1914.
Its two elaborate spires rise 230 feet above street level. The interior has hand-carved oak pews, white marble altars and marble statues.
It was finished in 1924 when 59 beautiful stained glass windows, created in Bavaria, were installed.
It was badly damaged in 1935 by an earthquake but was completely restored and reinforced. It was renovated between 2002 and 2003.
Today, the cathedral is meticulously maintained and is an operating place of worship. Visitors are welcome to visit or attend services.
The Diocese of Great Falls Billings has two cathedrals:
St. Ann Cathedral
715 3rd Ave. North
Great Falls, Montana
In 1904 when the Diocese of Great Falls was created. Bishop Mathias Lenihan undertook the building of a permanent Cathedral. The Gothic Cathedral of St. Ann was built of cut stone from quarries in the Stockett area. It was dedicated on December 15, 1907. When the new Cathedral was completed, the old red brick St. Ann's Church was converted into a school building.
In 1931 a new rectory was built of matching cut. In 1953, in connection with the 50th anniversary of the Diocese, the Cathedral was renovated and redecorated,
St. Patrick Co-Cathedral
215 N 31st St.
Billings, MT 59101
In 1900, the Billings community outgrew its church and started construction of Saint Patrick's Church. The church was completed in 1904 at a cost of $64,300.
In 1954, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Diocese, the first extensive renovations of the building were undertaken. A new north entryway into the main body of the church was added as well as the north stairwell into the church hall, new front steps, and a new roof.
Inside, new altars were installed, new Stations of the Cross, three new statues carved of linden wood, wrought iron lanterns in the nave, and a new rose window for the choir loft. Additionally, the interior dome and arches were redone in a decorative style of painting that was much in vogue during the fifties. This style has its roots in Byzantine art.
Visit Ignatius Press for the best in Catholic Reading!