Shrines and Holy Places
Our Lady of Levocha Shrine
Vincentian Sisters of Charity
Villa San Bernardo
1160 Broadway, Route 14
Bedfod, Ohio 44146
This shrine was established in 1930 and is located on the grounds of the Vincentian Sisters of Charity of the Diocese of Cleveland, OH. It is the only National Shrine of Our Lady of Levocha in America.
The shrine is in honor of Blessed Mother Mary appearance in the Slovakian village of Levocha in 1702 to some of the villagers.
Shrine & Oratory of the
Weeping Madonna of Mariapoch
(Byzantine Catholic Shrine)
17486 Mumford Rd.
Burton Ohio, 44021
From Maria Poch.org:
"In the northeastern plains of Hungary, in the village of Povch (former Szabolcs County), stands the Monastery of the Basilian Fathers, with a magnificent church. Stefan Papp, brother of the pastor of the church in Povch, who had studied art in Italy, was engaged by Laszlo Csigri to write an icon of the Mother of God for the ikonostas. He painted the Virgin Mother on wood holding the Divine Infant with a three-petaled tulip in His hand. Unable to pay for the icon, Lorincz Hurta, a well-to-do parishioner, donated it to the church. In this church the first weeping of the icon of the Mother of God took place on November 14, 1696 according to the Julian calendar. The same miracle occurred again from December 8 to 19th of the same year. Needless to say, this miracle was a great consolation to the discouraged people of Povch. Ever since the first miraculous weeping, the village of Povch has been called Marijapovch (in Hungarian, Mariapocs)."
St. Anthony's Wayside Shrine
St. Paul Monastery
Be sure to take a brief tour of the Society of St. Paul facility. Includes St Anthony Wayside Shrine, the Chapel, TV and Audio Visual departments etc
Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto
Central Catholic High School
4824 Tuscarawas St. West
U.S. Route 172
Shrine is located on the grounds of the school.
The Basilica and National Shrine of
Our Lady of Consolation
315 Clay St.
Carey, Ohio 43316-1498
419-396-7107 or 396-3355
The original Shrine Church, the first church in Carey, began in 1868 under the direction of Father Edward Vatmann, pastor of St. Michael's in Findlay, Ohio.
On May 24, 1875, the statue of Our Lady of Consolation was carried in procession from the church of St. Nicholas to the church in Carey. Although itrained the entire seven mile walk, not a drop touched the statue of Our Lady of Consolation nor anyone in the procession.
The Shrine welcomes thousands of visitors each year, especially in the month of August during the Novena preceding the Feast of the Assumption.
Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
St. Margaret of Hungary Church
4680 Lander Road
Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
St. Margaret was one of three children born to Agatha of Prussia (now Hungary) about 1045.
She married the king of Scotland, Malcolm III in 1070. Their marriage was blessed with 8 children, 6 sons, one after another, then 2 young daughters.
St Margaret helped bring the Scottish church in line with Rome by bringing together the Culdee and Roman priests in a conclave to resolve points of dispute. Her love and fine upbringing of her children was remarkable, and they all turned out very well. Although her health had never been good, it was not helped by her long and somewhat excessive periods of fasting and prayer. The king was killed in battle in 1093 and Margaret died when word of this tragedy reached her on Nov. 16, 1093
National Shrine of St. Anthony
St. Anthony Franciscan Friary
5000 Colerain Ave.
Cincinnati, Ohio 45223
In 1880s, Joseph and Elizabeth Nurre bought a country estate for $18,000 and gave it to the Franciscan friars. The Nurres then proceeded to buil a monastery, a home for infirm friars and a spiritual retreat house.
The buidings were completed in 1889 and on Thanksgiving Day 1889, Archbishop Henry Elder of Cincinnati consecrated the chapel.
St Peter In Chains Cathedral
325 W 8th. Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Saint Peter in Chains is a historic Cathedral as well as the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
The original Greek revival church was built in 1845. It was expanded and extensively renovated in the 1950's and re-dedicated a cathedral in November of 1957.
St. Paul's Shrine of Perpetual Adoration
Conversion of St. Paul Church
4120 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 66103
Established in 1931 the church came to be known simply as St. Paul Shrine.
The Monastery of the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration is attached to the shrine.
Holy Family Church
Jubilee 2000 Museum
584 W. Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Holy Family was established in 1877 just west of downtown Columbus, Ohio in the historic area known as Franklinton.
The Jubilee Museum at Holy Family was established in 1998. It contain many fine examples of Catholic religious paintings, statues, vestments, altars, as well as items found in the home for personal devotion.
Shrine of Blessed Margaret of Castello, O.P.
St. Patrick Church
376 E. Naghten St.
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Blessed Margaret of Castello was born of a wealthy, noble Italian family near Florence in 1287. Born a hunchback, dwarf, blind and lame, her family was ashamed of her and kept her hidden in virtual imprisonment for nine years in a tiny cell attached to a forest church.
Eventually she became a member of the Dominican Third Order of Castello, where she lived an exemplary life of prayer, penance, and charity. Her incorrupt body lies under the main altar in St. Dominic's Church, Castello, Italy.
The Marian Library
International Marian Research Institute
University of Dayton
Dayton, Ohio 45469-1390
The Marian Library/International Marian Research Institute is located at the University of Dayton, a Catholic and Marianist institution of higher learning, in Dayton, Ohio. It is an international center of study and research on Mary, the Mother of Jesus Christ. The Marian Library holds the world's largest collection of printed materials on the Blessed Wrgin.
Their goal is to gather and present infonnation about the Virgin Mary and to lead
people to a loving knowledge of her. Learning more about Mary, they develop a
more complete knowledge of Christ, his Church and Christian life.
Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto
Mount St. John
4435 East Patterson Road
Shrine at Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto in The Mary Garden.
National American Shrine and
Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes
Euclid Avenue at Chardon Rd. (U.S. Route 20)
21281 Chardon Rd.
Euclid, Ohio 44117
In 1920, the Good Shepherd Sisters, aquired the Harms. In 1922 while visiting their Motherhouse in France, the Good Shepherd Sisters visited the Shrine at Lourdes. It was at this time that Mother Mary of St. John Berchmans McGarvey was inspired to erect a similar grotto on their newly acquired property. The Grotto was blessed and dedicated on Trinity Sunday, May 30, 1926.
Our Lady of America®
Our Lady of America Center
700 N. Susan Drive, P.O. Box 445
Fostoria, OH 44830
Beginning in 1938, Sister Mildred Mary Neuzil received over a period of many years special messages from Our Lady of America. Her spiritual directors determined that these mystical experiences were interior locutions, and she was directed to record them in writing. They concerned primarily the personal spiritual life of Sister Mildred Mary Neuzil, but there were messages intended for the bishop and others. Sister Mildred Mary was cloistered in a convent of her community in Fostoria, Ohio until her death in 2000.
The emphasis of the messages she received deal mostly with the Indwelling of the Blessed Trinity and to devotion to Mary as Our Lady of America. Our Lady requested that a medal be struck honoring her Immaculate Conception and invoking her as Our Lady of America. This was done [see below].
The apparition has not been officially approved.
Our Lady of the Pines
The Sisters of Mercy
1250 Tiffin Street
Fremont, Ohio 43420
63 Acres with retreat house and Lourdes Grotto
Our Lady of Czestochowa Shrine
Provincial House of the Sisters of St. Joseph
of the Third Order of St. Francis
12215 Granger Road
Garfield Heights, Ohio 44125
Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto and Church
204 Main Street
Genoa, Ohio 43430
Our Lady of Fatima Shrine
St. Joseph Church.
905 S. 5th St.
Ironton, OH. 45638
Our Lady of Fatima Shrine
Russels Point on Indian Lake
c/o American Society of Ephesus
George B. Quatman Foundation
327 N. Elizabeth St.
Lima, OH. 45801
Limited access. Best viewed by boat
The National Marian Shrine of the Holy Relics
& Maria Stein Heritage Museum
Sisters of the Precious Blood
2291 St. John Road
Maria Stein, OH 45860
419-925-4532 Gift Shop
Sorrowful Mother Shrine
4106 St. Route 269
Marywood, (Bellevue) Ohio 44811
National Shrine of St. Dymphna
3000 Erie Street S., P.O. Box 4
Massilon, Ohio 44648
St. Dymphna is the patroness of those afflicted with mental and nervous disorders.
The Shrine is located on the grounds of the Heartland Behavioral Healthcare (formerly the Massillon State Hospital)
Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine
St. Joseph Church
2643 Waterloo Road
Mogadore, OH 44260
National Shrine of Our Lady of Lebanon
2759 North Lipkey Road
North Jackson, Ohio 44452
Our Lady of the Holy Spirit Center
5440 Moeller Avenue
Norwood, Ohio 45212
Queen of the Holy Rosary Shrine
Sisters of the Incarnate Word
6618 Pearl Road
Our Lady of Toledo Shrine
Garden of the Lambs
655 South Coy Road
419-697-7742 or Toll free at 1-888-791-0990
Servants of Mary Center for Peace
6569 Ireland Rd.
Winsor, Ohio 44099
50 ft. Statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Chapel, Gift Shop. Family Owned
Shrine of Our Lady
Comforter of the Afflicted
517 S. Belle Vista Ave.
Youngstown, Ohio 44509
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy